
Today we got a lot done. Duff and Shaun took off early to go to the gym, and I was out the door by 8am to get the grocery shopping done for the week. Boy, that is the time to go! The store was literally empty of people, shelves stocked and I zipped through. I was home, fridge cleaned out and everything organized and put away by 9:30.
Then Christine and I worked on her room together. It has needed a good going through all summer and we just never got to it. I usually like to do that after school shopping, but we didn't get it done then either. It was good, but I have to admit that I was a tad bit sad. Down came the Puppy Love poster. Oh! She has loved that for years. But alas has outgrown it. Out went the papers and books to 'play school' with. Out went the rest of the Barbie stuff. The Nancy Drew books are replaced with the Twilight series and others on the bookcase. My baby is a teen ager. Last night we went to the mall for a make-up demonstration at MAC. She got some new items and learned about blush and eyeliner. The gal was amazing. Christine totally listened to her even though I talked to her about the same things and was told I was soooo 'old'. Everything was age appropriate and she had a good time. We both left happy.
Tonight was the annual RS broadcast. I always look forward to this meeting. I find a great unity and strength meeting at the stake center with the sisters and hearing the messages from the general presidency and a member of the first presidency. Tonight did not disappoint. Adrianne and I went together. My mom, Lisa, Meredith, Janae and Gwen all went together in AZ. Natalie was by herself, but just knowing that the women in my family were all feasting together at the same moment was inspiring for me. The spirit was very strong and the music was uplifting. Singing all together gave me a shiver it was so beautiful.
Here are my notes:
Julie Beck--President:
Then Christine and I worked on her room together. It has needed a good going through all summer and we just never got to it. I usually like to do that after school shopping, but we didn't get it done then either. It was good, but I have to admit that I was a tad bit sad. Down came the Puppy Love poster. Oh! She has loved that for years. But alas has outgrown it. Out went the papers and books to 'play school' with. Out went the rest of the Barbie stuff. The Nancy Drew books are replaced with the Twilight series and others on the bookcase. My baby is a teen ager. Last night we went to the mall for a make-up demonstration at MAC. She got some new items and learned about blush and eyeliner. The gal was amazing. Christine totally listened to her even though I talked to her about the same things and was told I was soooo 'old'. Everything was age appropriate and she had a good time. We both left happy.
Tonight was the annual RS broadcast. I always look forward to this meeting. I find a great unity and strength meeting at the stake center with the sisters and hearing the messages from the general presidency and a member of the first presidency. Tonight did not disappoint. Adrianne and I went together. My mom, Lisa, Meredith, Janae and Gwen all went together in AZ. Natalie was by herself, but just knowing that the women in my family were all feasting together at the same moment was inspiring for me. The spirit was very strong and the music was uplifting. Singing all together gave me a shiver it was so beautiful.
Here are my notes:
Julie Beck--President:
- Increase my faith and personal righteousness
- Be patient and long -suffering
- Article of Faith 13
- Strengthen Families and Home
- Home to be a refuge from daily evils of the world. A sanctuary.
- Story of her mother leaving with her father to serve in another country for 3 years. Mom, what will I do w/o you? Mom's response: Tie yourself to Relief Society. It will be your mother. It will love you, strengthen you, teach you, be there for you.
- Serve the Lord and His children.
- W/O personal revelation we cannot succeed. With it we cannot fail! (just LOVE that one)
- Revelation is not a matter of pushing a button. It takes work. Be worthy of it, live for it, follow it, prepare for it.
- We may see ourselves as weak and simple, BUT we have a divine role in the building of the Kingdom of God. How do I see myself? Evaluate.
Silvia Allred--1st Counselor:
- The Lord has always commanded His people to build temples.
- People make great sacrifices to go to the temple. I have one sooo close, do I attend like I should?
- 128 temples in operation currently.
- Temple is a house of learning.
- When we go we clear our minds and hearts.
- Return as often as possible. How often is possible for me?
- The temple is a source of spiritual power and strength and revelation.
Barbara Thompson--2nd counselor:
- The church wasn't perfect until the organization of the RS.
- Early sisters gave relief
- Society is to relieve poor but also to learn and grow in the doctrine of the gospel. To be taught. None of us know it all. We must attend Sunday lessons.
- Step up and BE STRONG!
- Set and example
- Be anxiously engaged.
- Identify what is fine inside of us.
- Bear burdens, mourn with those that mourn, comfort those who need comfort.
- Be armed with love and compassion
- Keeping covenants = blessings! What are those covenants and what blessings do I receive by keeping them?
Dieter Uchtdorf-- 2nd counselor First Presidency:
- Began with story of his wife, Harriett and cooking. She is a fabulous cook and presents the meal in a beautiful manner. Yet she always finds some reason to apologize for the food. She either didn't use enough of one ingredient or too much of another, etc. He on the other hand can make greasy fried eggs and burnt toast very well with no apology.
- Men and women are different. Physically, mentally, emotionally.
- Women seem to focus on what we lack rather than who we are and what we do well.
- We feel deep sorrows, lonliness, heavy burdens.
- God wants us to be HAPPY! His glory is to bring about the immortality and eternal life of man/woman. He wants us to be happy like He is.
- God's happiness = the greatest happiness e.v.e.r!
- God is a creator. We are to be like Him, so we need to 'create'.
- We were 'created' to experience a fullness of joy.
- 'Creation' is not a canvas or paper. It doesn't have to be perfect. 'Creation' can be a smile, letter of appreciation.
- ***Creation is to make something that wasn't there before.***
- Women need to be 'creating' by being compassionate.
- Compassion: help the hands that hang down, lift the feeble knees
- As we lift others we rise higher ourselves
- Service is healing
- Work will cure your grief. Serve others.
- ***The number of prayers we say is important but equally is the number of prayers we answer.***
- Increase my faith by studying better, attending the temple more often and be better with my prayers.
- HAPPINESS IS OUR HERITAGE!
This was one of the best talks for women I have ever heard. I am going to print it out and keep it on my bedside table and refer to it.
1 comment:
This was a great broadcast, and the talks were wonderful. Would you please print a copy of Brother Uchdorf's talk for me too. I would appreciate it.
It was very sweet and he told it in a way that every sister regardless of her age could understand and relate to it. Our hearts and spirits were with Natalie, Adrianne and you that evening.
Love Mom
Post a Comment