This is always such a delicious, good, quick to prepare dinner, besides being nice and comforting and with some great vegetables. We had this for dinner tonight with leftover mashed potatoes from last night and some rice to fill in. This recipe serves 4 generously and only takes about 10 minutes to prepare before it simmers.
1 round steak or cubed steaks(approx. 1 1/2 lbs.)
If you use round steak, make sure the butcher runs it through a cuber.
1 tsp. garlic powder
Salt and Pepper
Flour for dredging/dusting
1/3 cup vegetable or canola oil
2-4 cloves garlic, crushed
1 (14 1/2 oz.) can diced tomatoes
1 onion, cut into strips
1 medium bell pepper, cut into strips
I keep a small container of garlic powder and salt and pepper already mixed in my pantry. It is called House Seasoning and it is by Paula Deen.
Cut steak into serving size pieces. Season to taste with the House Seasoning. Dredge/dust meat with flour.
In heavy pan, brown meat on both sides in oil. (Gotta LOVE the pot. It is one of my very favorites. Hurray for LeCruset.)
If you are using fresh garlic and not jarred, smack the clove with the wide blade of the knife with your fist. It will crack the peeling off and smash the garlic. Discard the paperlike peeling. Add the garlic just how it is. There is no need to chop it. ***Garlic Hint: To remove the garlic smell from your hands, rinse your knife under the tap water and rub your fingers up and down the blade. If your knife is stainless steel, it will take the smell right away!
Combine garlic, tomatoes, onion, bell pepper and 1 tomato can measure of water. Pour over steak and simmer covered over low heat until meat is tender about 2 hours. Check it every once in a while and add a little more water if needed to keep the meat partially covered.
Taste and correct the seasonings if needed. Serve over mashed potatoes, noodles, or rice.This is also a great dish for a crock pot! If you cook it on low all day it makes a fabulous dinner when you get home! Or start it mid-day and cook on high.

6 comments:
Oh my that looks FANTASTIC!!! I am going to try it this weekend. Thanks for the receipe.
Dittos! Except how do you prepare it for the crock pot. Do I do it on the stove first and then DUMP it into the crock?
Yes, Linda. Prepare the meat on the stove and then put it in the crock pot and add everything else on top of it, put the lid on and set the temperature and the time and you are good to go!
Thanks Cindy!
Love Ya Lots!
My darn mouth is WATERING just looking at the pictures! haha . . .I'm going to make this too - Bob will want to marry me all over again!?!? I've totally stopped cooking and just like any other 'art' - I'm going to loose it if I don't practice! Thanks for the recipe!
I just saw these pots at Costco for $199 are they worth it? A lady at the store told me it was a good price. What all do you use your for?
I'm wondering if I should ask for it for Christmas.
Post a Comment