Something To Think About:

Something To Think About:
Children are like wet cement, whatever falls on them makes an impression.

--Hiam Ginott

Thursday, May 28, 2009

The Faucet Blew Up

Well, over the weekend our kitchen faucet 'blew up'. From time to time, it does this weird thing where water spurts out of the handle part. Then all of a sudden it stops. We've just dealt with it over the years not wanting to put money out for a new one. But this last weekend it never stopped spurting. I've had a dishcloth tied around it which only diverts the water down instead of spraying all over the window and sides of the counter.

We finally decided we needed to get a new one. I was shocked at the prices. We found one that I think I can live with. I like other ones better, but they didn't have any in stock at Lowe's and Duff wasn't willing to drive to any other places. He doesn't do good with handyman issues, but let him crunch numbers and he thrives.

Now I have to get a plumber to come and put it in. I've learned I should be happy about how long we've had our current faucet. Just about everyone I talk to on the street has already had to replace theirs years ago.

Duff took me to lunch at Wahoo's first. It was such a fun treat. They have my favorite fish tacos EVER. Not breaded and fresh from the ocean that morning. Oh! I salivate just thinking about them. I decided to have a cheese enchilada with my taco. It was equally delish, but no sooner did I get in the car to go to the hardware store and my tummy wasn't taking it. It passed and I though all was well. Until we got to Lowes. Nope. Gall bladder tummy hit in earnest.

I barely got to a restroom in time. It is a funny thing, this not having a gall bladder. I can go a long time eating certain trigger foods and be fine. Then all of a sudden I can eat something and it isn't fine. And I just 'know'. It is a different kind of tummy ache and what ever the food source is just goes right through you--fast! Cheese was it today. Sometimes it is sour cream. Or butter. Or a slice of bacon. When the tummy ache hits, I quickly go through a mental checklist of what I've eaten and can always identify it. The funny thing is, the offending food doesn't even have to be in any kind of excess. Even a tidbit will do it. The liver lets go too much bile and there is no gall bladder there to 'pasturize' or 'homogenize' it before it goes into the digestive tract, resulting in a pretty intense stomach ache and resulting run to the restrooom.

Duff cruised the aisles and once all was fine with me we resumed the faucet search. I'm funny. I get attached to things like this faucet that has served us so well for the last 15 years. I know once the new one is installed I will move on, but it just looks so sad all old and broken. Thanks to you dear kitchen faucet for being part of the family and doing your part!

3 comments:

Victoria said...

We have had to replace ours TWICE in the ten years we have lived here... let's just say our faucet sees some abuse. And of course the ones I love are way out of my price range. My one saving grace is that my son Tyler is quite expert in installing them, and so I never had to pay the plumber.

Cindy said...

Can he come over???? Hahahaha...

Sigie said...

Happy that you finally got your new faucet. Not happy about you felt after you had lunch. But know exactly what you went through. I go through it about 3 times a week and it doesn't matter if you ate it before and the food did not affect you then but then this time the food did affect you. It is awful to have that feeling.

Love Mom