Something To Think About:

Something To Think About:
Children are like wet cement, whatever falls on them makes an impression.

--Hiam Ginott

Monday, May 11, 2009

Garden Update

Here is a little garden update. We have pea pods galore, bean blossoms that will open probably today, tomato blossoms. It's lookin' good! We have a lot of volunteer tomato plants coming up, so we are going to let them grow a couple more weeks and then transplant them into some pots and let Mike and Adrianne have them for their patio. Oh, and we have some basil volunteers too that we will do the same thing with. Boxes l-r: Peas growing up the upside down tomato cages. Then bush beans. Tomatoes along the fence.
Middle box: spinach (which isn't doing as well as we would like. We will probably replant with some swiss chard), chives, basil, cucumbers. The cucs are finally up. We planted them a little too deep, but with the warmer weather they are now going strong.

Right box: yellow and zuchinni squashes. Oh, I can hardly wait. Nothing quite like that soft buttery taste and texture of a freshly picked and cooked zuchinni and some good old cracker crumbed fried yellow squash.

I'll post more again in another 4-6 weeks.

3 comments:

Linda Lu said...

Hey Girl! The gardens look great! A little note, you can freeze the basil for future use. I usually take the amount I need for my own red sauce and freeze the leaves whole and then crumble them once they are frozen. I have a great recipe for sauce without the meat and you can use it for most any italian dish. I sent the recipe to Natalie awhile back but if you would like it let me know! It's delish and I make several batches at a time and freeze it.

Love ya!

Heather said...

YOU ARE MY HERO!

Jamie said...

It looks great! I think it's one of my favorite things, to watch my garden grow. Our peppers are struggling & our cucumbers. The cucumbers seem to be doing a little bit better now.

Hey! What kind of basil do you have? For some reason I can.not get mine to grow & stay growing. I'm always having to replace it. Do you have any tricks that you could share?