
...I got a call from my mutti/mama late last night. I knew right away she had talked to my sister, Lisa. #1, she wouldn't call that late just to 'chat', and #2 she knew too much about me being sick! Finally, I just straight out asked her: you've been talking to Lisa, huh? She hemmed and hawed for a few seconds, and then came clean.
"Yes, and I'm calling to tell you to take care of yourself. You're getting a little older, (gee, thanks Mom!), and you need to be careful. You're going to start finding you don't recover as fast as you used to. Is this the swine flu? Have you been tested? Do you have a fever? Do you feel nauseaous? These are all signs of the swine flu! Are you sure you don't have it? You have a houseful this summer. You take it easy! I don't care what you have going on this weekend with church or anything, you stay home! You take care of yourself. You take care of everybody else and leave yourself last. Someone else will be able to do all your assignments. You always fill in for them, they will do it for you. I'm your mom. Do you hear what I'm telling you?!"
Yes, mutti. I hear you. (She usually is never this strong-worded) Thank you. I LOVE YOU! Funny thing is, I could see myself saying these very same things at some point to all of 'my daughters'. I guess the saying is true: Once a mother, always a mother....
Love You, Mom!
"Yes, and I'm calling to tell you to take care of yourself. You're getting a little older, (gee, thanks Mom!), and you need to be careful. You're going to start finding you don't recover as fast as you used to. Is this the swine flu? Have you been tested? Do you have a fever? Do you feel nauseaous? These are all signs of the swine flu! Are you sure you don't have it? You have a houseful this summer. You take it easy! I don't care what you have going on this weekend with church or anything, you stay home! You take care of yourself. You take care of everybody else and leave yourself last. Someone else will be able to do all your assignments. You always fill in for them, they will do it for you. I'm your mom. Do you hear what I'm telling you?!"
Yes, mutti. I hear you. (She usually is never this strong-worded) Thank you. I LOVE YOU! Funny thing is, I could see myself saying these very same things at some point to all of 'my daughters'. I guess the saying is true: Once a mother, always a mother....
Love You, Mom!
No comments:
Post a Comment