Not much to report. We were woken up at 8:45 by Josh who was on his way to church to find out if we knew what time the game was on later today. Hey, what was up with that? We don't have church until 1. Yes, we sleep in this year on Sundays, and it feels oh so wonderful!
Duff put himself on dinner duty with Christine for my birthday dinner. I don't know when this exactly started or why, but we get 2 birthday dinners. One on the day--a casual one--and one on Sunday--a special Sunday one, and each person gets to choose their favorite. Ever since I was a little girl my favorite dinner is a good old fashioned roast beef dinner with all the trimmings. So, that is what they made. It was scrumptious. Duff has always been a good cook. He had to learn early in his life. His mom was sick when he was younger and as the oldest he had the responsibility to get meals on the table when times were bad. Cleaning too. His friends would not so patiently wait on the front porch while he finished up mopping floors and cleaning bathrooms and vacuuming. He endured quite a bit of teasing from them that later over the years turned into respect as they came to understand and appreciate the situation and his part in keeping the family going during those times when her illness would flare up.
Our meetings were good. Good lessons. Learned a lot. Filled in at the last minute for the music in RS. Talked to Leslie. We are having a get-together on Friday night with almost all of us who served together on the stake YW board way back when. Those 5 years were such a unique time. We developed a deep love for each other that still is in tact. I remember when the stake presidency released us. They wept as they told us they had never seen a group of sisters work together so well and love each other so much. And we did. We had babies, infertility, adoption, marriages, infidelty, reconciliations, divorces, sickness, cancer, missions, happy times and sad times and we were there for each other through it all. We can see each other in Target or a church hallway and all we need is a smile or wink and a hug and it conveys it all. I'm looking forward to Friday night! And I'm glad those who have moved away are/can come back for it. I'll be sure and post about it.
A quiet evening just being together. We watched some tv and I worked on some handwork. We are excited for the holiday tomorrow.
ps: today is Mamo Minnie's birthday. What a great grandma she was.
2 comments:
Mamo was the best. I miss all of her cute notebooks she'd make us and her cookie jar always being full. Oh and Sees easter eggs. I miss her.
What a tender little story about Duff. What a sweet guy. I love that!
Post a Comment