
I've heard it said that organization is an investment. It can be costly. I'm finding this is true. Replacing decades old cardboard boxes with appropriate storage containers adds up. I've been waiting for and using every sale and coupon that comes along. This takes time to wait and watch for the specials. This week, Target had their $9 bins on sale for $4. That is a great deal!
This week was the time to address Natalie's wedding dress. This is a 'hot button' for me. My gown never got 'preserved' until it sat in a plastic bag for 27 years in my garage and made 5 moves. Some of the bodice lace had really yellowed. So disappointing, even for a trendy, daisy, 70's wedding gown! Not that anybody would ever want to borrow my dress to be married in today, but my daughters loved looking at it and it began numberless conversations about getting married to your sweetheart, morality, eternity, how do you 'know'?, hoping, wishing, goals, and the like.
Several years ago I finally had mine cleaned and boxed. It turned out amazingly well. I will give all the credit to J. Fields Cleaners. I called and called around only to find that they were one of the few who even did wedding gowns and they could tell me their process exactly. So I called around again and a few more have added this service, but no one could explain to me how they did it. It made me very nervous. Did you know that some gowns are only to be laundered? Some can only use certain chemicals and if you use the wrong ones it will melt your beading? Scary. They do each gown one at a time in clean chemicals and there is a whole hanging/drying/ pressing process. Plus, J. Fields is having a 20% off your entire bill sale right now and that includes big items like gowns and preservation items. Bingo!
Meredith went with me and took her dress too. I took Adrianne's for her while she was at work. I also took Christine's blessing gown, bonnet, and booties, AND the boys blessing bubble suit with hat and booties, AND the blessing blanket and blessing shawl that I was blessed in and all my children were blessed in (53 years old!). I had Natalie's done when my wedding gown was done. I love how they fold and place it all 'just right' in the archival box. It's like a framed shadow-box showing as many details as possible.
Yay! Now they will all be preserved and in the same place and not all over the house closets and garages in plastic bags and deteriorating cardboard boxes.
P.S. what is up with all the olympics drama about skating? If you watch the programs over again, YP was clearly out skated by EL....
This week was the time to address Natalie's wedding dress. This is a 'hot button' for me. My gown never got 'preserved' until it sat in a plastic bag for 27 years in my garage and made 5 moves. Some of the bodice lace had really yellowed. So disappointing, even for a trendy, daisy, 70's wedding gown! Not that anybody would ever want to borrow my dress to be married in today, but my daughters loved looking at it and it began numberless conversations about getting married to your sweetheart, morality, eternity, how do you 'know'?, hoping, wishing, goals, and the like.
Several years ago I finally had mine cleaned and boxed. It turned out amazingly well. I will give all the credit to J. Fields Cleaners. I called and called around only to find that they were one of the few who even did wedding gowns and they could tell me their process exactly. So I called around again and a few more have added this service, but no one could explain to me how they did it. It made me very nervous. Did you know that some gowns are only to be laundered? Some can only use certain chemicals and if you use the wrong ones it will melt your beading? Scary. They do each gown one at a time in clean chemicals and there is a whole hanging/drying/ pressing process. Plus, J. Fields is having a 20% off your entire bill sale right now and that includes big items like gowns and preservation items. Bingo!
Meredith went with me and took her dress too. I took Adrianne's for her while she was at work. I also took Christine's blessing gown, bonnet, and booties, AND the boys blessing bubble suit with hat and booties, AND the blessing blanket and blessing shawl that I was blessed in and all my children were blessed in (53 years old!). I had Natalie's done when my wedding gown was done. I love how they fold and place it all 'just right' in the archival box. It's like a framed shadow-box showing as many details as possible.
Yay! Now they will all be preserved and in the same place and not all over the house closets and garages in plastic bags and deteriorating cardboard boxes.
P.S. what is up with all the olympics drama about skating? If you watch the programs over again, YP was clearly out skated by EL....
2 comments:
I have not had my dressed cleaned and boxed yet and I talked to that cleaners about it, I really like them, now that I know someone who used them for their wedding dress now I feel more comfortable to take mine in. It is a little nerve wracking even though it will most likely never be worn again but just to preserve it.
I should give you your blessing dress and shoes. or have I given them to you already?
Love Mom
Post a Comment