Something To Think About:

Something To Think About:
Children are like wet cement, whatever falls on them makes an impression.

--Hiam Ginott

Wednesday, February 24, 2010

G.S.N. Or In Other Words: Goal. Setting. Network.

...and Girl. Strengthening. Network.

I must mention about New Beginnings this week. It was really good. How do these leaders come up with such fun and valuable activities and events?! These gals are inspired and awesome!!

Christine was asked to give a talk about The Importance of the YW Theme and How It Helps Us. and then led us all in reciting the theme together. I will post it later. She did a great job.

The new Beehives were all introduced. OH. I remember when they were BORN! 100 YW surveyd and the top 3 answers on the board with the value that their fellow YW felt best described them.

The 'theme' for the evening was about game shows. There were tv's set up with tapes of ward members who had been on different game shows throughout the years. SO hilarious! And the decorations were simple but like we were in a studio. There was even a red carpet down the middle of the room.

Talks by Sister Herrscher, Koelliker, and the Bishop. Great information and instruction. The Bishop talked about the current Olympics. Did you know that .09 of a second is like the blink of an eye? And that is what separates most of these athletes in their sports. It also is the time it takes to 'wipe out' and have your Olympic dream be dashed. It is those little .09 choices in our lives along the way that can lead us to not realize our dream of eternal life!

Sister French emcee'd the YW Family Feud game, complete with suit, tie, and pony-tail! It was hysterically fun. I didn't get a picture--there was too much excitement going on--but it was the girls against the parents and all the questions were about the Personal Progress and YW program, Values, etc. They had the original FF music playing in the background each time a new daughter/parent was called up for their turn at the 'podium' complete with round push lights to hit after the question was read. The YW were beating us soundly (as it was supposed to be), but we parents did get 2 points on the board and one of them was mine. Chris and I were the last ones called up. We got some good laughs. Afterwards, I got several comments and high fives. I may come across all quiet and proper, but get me in a game and I am fiercely competetive. Ask my family!

We even had a 'word from our sponsor' aka: a commercial by the Laurels. They marched in from the hallway up the red carpet and stood across the front of the room and sang a song about PProgress to the tune of the Jeopardy music with the clock ticking. So creative!

The new PProgress books are beautiful and I think the changes are appropriate. I am going to do the new program too and get another medallion. They are really beautiful and much more symbolic. Plus, I'm such a sucker for the color pink.

1 comment:

Linda Lu said...

Cindy,

Did you enter the tape of when your family was on Family Feud? I think it was back in the late 70's, early 80's!

HeHe!